Layout

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

No Creative Title Today

I had such an eventful day today! I started the day off by getting my toe nails painted. They looked very bad, and I couldn't stand it any longer! Then I had lunch with Brandi at Ruby Tuesday. We didn't have a lot of time together but it was nice to get to chat and spend time with her even if it was for a short time. After lunch, Lora, Casey and I went to Debra's house to take her some post-surgery treats. We spent some time discussing our upcoming reunion, Melissa's shower, and of course we managed to get our gossip fix in! I love talking to these girls. We have such a history together, and we never get tired of talking about things in our past. I did get embarassed when someone brought up a time when I was talking bad about Debra. She heard what I was saying, and we had quite a tiff over that! I get so upset when I think about some of the stupid things I did and said in high school. Next, it was off to Killen to pick out carpet for Camden's room. We quickly selected a dark brown shag carpet. Then we stopped by a NEW restraunt to mark off my list, Stanfields in Rogersville, AL. The food was very good! I had grilled shrimp and baby back ribs with onion rings. We decided that we would definitely go back to eat there again. After dinner, we attended the first of several marriage workshops that our chruch is sponsoring for young married couples. Needless to say, David was not thrilled with the idea, but I knew that the church was paying this counselor to come and present the workshops and that we should attend. After all, how can focusing on bettering your marriage ever turn out to be a bad thing? The presenter was not the best speaker that I have ever heard, but the information he put out there was very useful. He discussed love languages, and we each had to take a short quiz to determine what our love language was. To my surprise, David and I had the same language! Anyone who knows me will not be shocked to know that my language was words of affirmation which means that hearing positive and encouraging words makes me feel loved. This was no surprise to me because I have very low self-esteem, and I am constantly seeking approval from others. It did surprise me that David had the same result. I honestly did not realize that he had such a need to hear statements of approval or appreciation from me. I always feel that he is so confident in who he is. I think it's great that I know this now Since I did not know that he had this need, I seriously doubt that I was meeting it. Now I can make the extra effort to make sure that I verbally express my appreciation for him. I know I am very lucky to have a husband like him. Sure, he's a pocketbook Nazi, but deep down I know that is for our own good. David is very protective. He's a hard worker, and I know he will be a good father to our little boy. So many people are not that lucky. I need to work harder to let him know how much I appreciate who he is and what he does.

3 comments:

Purple Treasures said...

I fight the demon of low self esteem too. It is a constant battle but keep your head up. If I have learned anything over the last 2 or 3 years is that you will never understand how much you count in other people's lives. I try to remind myself of that everyday!!

Jaime said...

i'm glad that you had a good time with your gossip girls! bran and I got a book at one of our showers about the love languages. maybe i should read it!

Melanie said...

I think it's a great idea to work on a marriage. More people should do what you and David are doing. :)